Men: Preview for RIT

The Saints open their regular season schedule tonight with a game against the RIT Tigers. SLU and RIT will christen the new Gene Polisseni Center on RIT's campus.
The Saints and Tigers split their matchup last year, the Friday game going to the Saints, while the Saturday matchup went to RIT.
I wont beat a dead horse as far as the amount of scoring the Saints lost in the offseason. It was a lot. But in the exhibition game against Carleton, they got scoring by committee, with goals from the first, second and fourth lines, as well as a goal from the D corps. And the offense should receive a boost with the probable return of Gavin Bayreuther.
The Tigers graduated their two top scorers, but their top line, most likely comprised of Todd Skirving, Dan Schuler and Brad McGowan still have a lot of skill and can make teams pay if the defense makes mistakes. And RIT has stability in net with Mike Rotolo.
The question of who will start in net for the Saints reigns supreme. My guess would be Parks, but I wouldn't bet more than maybe $150 on that.
The key for the Saints will be solid defense. If Parks gets the start, I think he's more than capable of winning games, as long as the defense is good in front of him. SLU still has enough offensive talent, but the questionable defense can spell issues. And although Gavin Bayreuther is the biggest name on the back end, the Saints defense itself is led by Eric Sweetman. Sweets will most likely line up against the top scorers for RIT, and if he and his partner, probably Mitch Eden, play well, the Saints should be able to win.
However, all those pairings are speculation on my part, as is my guess for Parks to start. We'll see.
Puck drops at 7, I'll try and tweet, but I will be at the women's game.

Comments

  1. I bet you lose that bet. Although I want to see what he can do this year.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment