Player spotlight: Bayreuther

Today, I got bored watching football, so I decided to start a little tradition I'll call the player spotlight.  Occasionally, if I see that a player is having a great run of games, or in general exceeding expectations, I'll do a little write up, just for them.  For the first one, I pretty much had the decision made before I started to think about it.  Freshman defenseman Gavin Bayreuther.  Kid's on fire.
As a rookie in the USHL with the Fargo Force, Gavin scored 9 goals and 33 points as his team advanced to the Western Conference Finals.  Now, as a rookie once again in the ECAC, Bayreuther has proven that he can step in and help fill the void left when George Hughes graduated.  Through 8 games, Gavin has 3 goals and 5 assists, a point per game pace, which for any defenseman is impressive.  He's put 26 shots on net, and has been held of the scoresheet only twice in eight games. He is playing on the top pair with Justin Baker, as well as the power play, where a quarter of his points have come. He also scored on the power play against Carleton.
He's also a great team player, having blocked 7 shots thus far, while only taking three penalties.  He plays smart with and without the puck, and I've heard many a comment about his defensive and offense hockey I.Q. Impressive praise for a freshman.  As the year progresses, his production will most likely dip, because most forwards don't even score at the pace he is, but even if it does, his name will still be on the scoresheet quite a bit.

Comments