A slightly off topic post

Over the past few days, alot of people have asked my why I started this blog, and I figured I'd share with those faithful SLU hockey fans who drop by the page what I said in response.
My blog on SLU hockey really started way before I created the website, before I watched a SLU hockey game on TV, even before I visited the campus.
The blog started on April 23, 2011, the night I watched my hometown Boston Bruins beat the Montreal Canadiens in double OT in game 5 of the Easter Conference Quarterfinals.  The moment the puck dropped that night, I learned something that every person who has ever laced up skates knows, whether they're an 8 year old playing midget hockey, or Sidney Crosby.  Hockey is not just a game, not just a sport.
Hockey is, and always will be, love.
You can see it on the faces of the young players of the Miracle on Ice team when they beat the Soviets, and the face of Ray Bourque as he hoisted the cup with Colorado after so many years of frustration and heartbreak.
Hockey is love.
Since that night with my cousin and Aunt, whose kind invitation to a hockey game changed my life, I have learned more about the Bruins, hockey, and myself.  Forcing myself to learn to skate so I could finally play the game that had captured my mind and my heart took more effort than I could have anticipated.  The feeling of my first goal, not long ago, still resides within me, waiting for another goal.
Yet, I'm no Wayne Gretzky, Bobby Orr, or Alex Ovechkin.  I'm not a Greg Carey, Matt Weninger, or Kyle Essery.  And so, I took the advice of my friend, who also runs the BU hockey blog, and I did what I could to get involved with SLU hockey.  I won't score any goals, register any shutouts, or motivate the team with a pregame speech.  I can only write, and so write I will, and tweet I will, and cheer I will.
Thanks to everyone who visits the page, or follows the twitter account, you've gotten me started on an amazing path.  Come up to the North Country if you can, and I'll see you at the rink.

Comments